Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Week One - DONE!


Hi friends!
The first week of my training schedule for the Carlsbad Half is done and I am half way through my second! I have been looking forward to starting this new routine since I finished my last schedule. There is just something so nice about planning workouts, making a schedule, and every day hitting the mark. The schedule posted on the blog is my actual training schedule for the Carlsbad Half. I have the printed version on my desk and I cross off days as I go. If anything changes, I’ll denote the change and repost the schedule. 

For today's post, I thought I would do a quick re-cap of Monday’s HIIT.


Monday- Today’s HIIT was a treadmill interval workout. If I do a running HIIT, I’m doing it on a treadmill because honestly it is easier to monitor my intervals. I did a pyramid of jogs and sprints that looked like this:


Warm up walk 3 minutes,
    Sprint 30
                            Jog 30
Sprint 45
Jog 45
Sprint 60
Jog 60
Sprint 90
Jog 90
       Sprint 90
Jog 90
Sprint 60
Jog 60
Sprint 45
Jog 45
Sprint 30
Jog 30
Power walk for the rest of the 15 minutes or keep going up to 25 minutes.

It is an imperfect pyramid, but you get the gist. My treadmill settings are : Walk at 4.0, Jog at 6.3, Sprint at 8.2 . These are my treadmill’s settings and they roughly equate to: Walk at 14 min. mile, Jog at 9:30 mm, and Sprint at 7:00mm.  When it says “sprint” this should be almost all out. Since I was on a treadmill, I do as fast as I can without losing my balance or holding onto the rails. You want to keep good form, even when on a treadmill. I find it is much easier to run on a treadmill when you keep the elevation at 1.0. I am more balanced, and my foot strikes feel more like they would if I were outside.

Give it a try today!! If you are outside, make sure you have a good watch that either can calculate splits or one that has a stop watch feature. I don’t recommend using your smart phone for a stop watch, unless you are using an app that can do it for you. (freeing up your hands so you aren’t looking at a screen / fumbling around with buttons)

Tomorrow's post will be on one of my favorite topics... RUNNING GEAR!!!

Happy trails! 

No comments:

Post a Comment